Temperature data loggers or temperature recorders are for recording temperature continuously at regular intervals. These are useful during storage and transportation of medicines, vaccines, fruits, vegetables, frozen food, fresh food etc. These devices simply measure and record the existing temperature at the time the measurements are taking place. It can record at regular intervals such as every 1 minute, every 5 minutes, every 10 minutes etc. as per your needs.
How does Temperature Data Logger work?
A temperature data logger is an electronic temperature recorder. It consists of a sensor to measure the temperature. Also, it has an internal memory to record the data. The electronic circuit continuously records this temperature into its internal memory. Consider a medicine which should always remain below 5°C. If the manufacturer is despatching this medicine to a different country, he wants to know the temperature throughout the journey. In this case, he will place a temperature data logger in the medicine boxes. Once the medicine reaches the destination, the consignee can check the entire temperature before accepting the medicine.
The electronic circuitry will have programming such as the recording interval, higher and lower alert levels, password etc. Some manufacturers program all details before they supply the items. However, for most of the models, the user will be able to program himself. There are models with or without display. If there is a display, you will be able to see current reading, maximum recorded reading, minimum recorded reading etc. Generally, there will be an LED indicator of red and blue colour to indicate whether the temperature every exceeded the permitted levels. These temperature recorders can record until the memory is full. Also, it is possible to stop the programming either manually or by programming. Once the recording is over, you have to connect it to a computer and it will generate a report in different formats such as pdf, Excel, Txt etc. These reports will have all the individual readings, average reading, maximum reading, minimum reading etc.
Types of Temperature Recorders
There are different temperature loggers for different purposes. Here are a few of the types available:
Temperature recorders for Medicines and Vaccines
This is one of the most important applications of temperature data logger. It is essential to maintain a specific temperature during storage and transportation of all medicines and vaccines. The temperature requirement for most of the generic medicines is between 15°C to 25°C. Also, there are a wide variety of medicines and vaccines which require a temperature between 2°C to 8°C. Also, there are vaccines which require storage below freezing temperature such as -20°C to -70°C. If the temperature goes above the limits for a specific time, the medicine loses its medicinal value. Hence it is mandatory to record the temperature from the factory until it reaches the consumers.
Temperature recording for nutrients and cosmetics
Environmental Monitoring and Protection
These loggers monitor exterior temperatures and can be placed in different areas to get an overall picture of the global temperature situation. Usually, these tools are used by weather stations to compile data for analysis of different weather trends and to monitor any global warming activity.
Temperature data loggers for Manufacturing Industries
These loggers do what humans cannot do. They are designed to monitor the temperatures in rooms where the heat is too hot for humans to handle. In other words, they monitor those manufacturing areas like blast furnaces whose temperatures reach 2000 degrees c. The information from these loggers is then transmitted via a wireless system back to the control room. These allow the operators to maintain ultimate safety in the operation of their machines.
To keep food their freshest, temperature loggers provide information to the operators. If the temperature in the storage areas goes to high or too low then the operators can make adjustments and protect the vulnerable product from spoiling. The information provided by these loggers can also be used as evidence by the supplier that the vulnerable product was transported at ultimate temperatures.
Data loggers for Lifecare Industry
Because of the sensitivity of medical supplies, these loggers provide an immeasurable service in helping manufacturers, shippers and storage facilities maintain the optimum temperature in all the rooms these medical supplies are placed. Temperature monitoring is very critical in these fields thus temperature loggers are an essential asset to helping healthcare professionals take care of their patients.
How to select the Right Temperature Recorder
It is important that any business purchase the right temperature monitor for their purpose. Here are some helpful hints to guide you in selecting the right logger for your business:
- Know the purpose of the temperature logger. Different applications have a different kind of temperature recorder. the temperature range, accuracy etc. are important in selecting the right one.
- How much memory do you need? Estimate the number of days that you will need continuous recording. You may select the recorder accordingly. eg. If you are despatching something from Kenya to Tanzania, you will need recording for 7-10 days. Hence you can select a temperature data logger accordingly.
- The time gap between each recording. This is the sampling interval or sampling frequency. If you are transporting extremely critical medicines, you may need a sampling interval of 3 minutes. This means that the recorder should record the reading once every 3 minutes. However if you are despatching fruits and vegetables, one recording every 15 minutes will be sufficient.
- Accuracy of the temperature reading. What is the accuracy level you require? This again depends on the type of goods. For medicines, you will need higher accuracy. For fruits and vegetables, a lower accuracy is sufficient.
- Is the software expensive? There are a lot of manufacturers who provide their software free of charge. You may select one of them.
- Is maintenance simple? In other words, can you do it yourself or do you need a specialist to handle small maintenance? You will mainly need battery replacement. The battery should be locally available. Also, it should be easy to replace by yourself without going back to the supplier of the temperature recorder.
- Where are you using the sensors? Temperature recorders for outdoors and indoors are completely different. Similarly, data loggers for 10°C are not suitable for 120°C.
If you select the right temperature recorder, it will save you money and efficiency. IF you have any queries, please contact us for assistance. They will guide you to the temperature logger that is right for your business.